Like many in the world, I have been reflecting today on the tragic events of September 11, 2001. I can vividly remember what I was doing when I first heard of the attacks and later, how our country bonded together in a way that hadn't happened in my lifetime. Unfortunately, I feel that we have lost that unity and have become more divided than ever in many ways. There have been many tributes and memorials leading up to this anniversary, and for a small moment, we are reclaiming a piece of our former bond. The sorrow that we felt then is resurfacing to some extent. But how long will it last? Perhaps even by this time next week, we will have all moved on with our lives and continue to ignore that our country which was designed to be "one nation, under God, indivisible" is straying further and further from this ideal. Our busy lives and differing viewpoints cause us to forget that we are all children of God and should stand together as one.
These reflections led me to consider my own ability to remember my God. Do I allow myself to become complacent and falsely believe that I can do everything on my own? Do I only turn to Him in times of crisis rather than every day? And if I am falling into this trap, what can I do to pull myself out? How can I be sure that I am relying on Him in all that I do?
Thomas S. Monson, the living prophet and president of our church was asked to write some thoughts in reflection of this tragedy. This paragraph really stood out to me. "If there is a spiritual lesson to be learned from our experience of that fateful day, it may be that we owe to God the same faithfulness that He gives to us. We should strive for steadiness, and for a commitment to God that does not ebb and flow with the years or crises of our lives. It should not require tragedy for us to remember Him, and we should not be compelled to humility be giving Him our faith and trust. We too should be with Him in every season."
So today, on the tenth anniversary of the September 11th attacks, I am pledging myself to be a little better, to be more constant in my faithfulness to God, to remember Him always. And in the words of Todd Beamer, I challenge you to remember your God more often and turn to Him constantly so that we may all stand together in the next life: "Are you guys ready? Let's roll."
If you are interested, President Monson's full remarks can be found here.
No comments:
Post a Comment