I just wanted to vent about an issue that everybody should be upset about and that is the way the news media is handling the economic recession. I do not see myself as an expert on the subject as I haven't even gotten my communications degree yet and I have very little real world experience on the matter but I feel the topic is important. While I agree that the nation is in a recession, I don't feel the media is giving the economy a fighting chance. On Christmas Annalise and I were able to talk to her brother who is serving a mission in Brazil. He was really concerned about the financial situation here in America becuase all he hears is how bad things are going. He was worried that we were all destitute. We were able to assure him that things aren't as bad as he imagines but it raises and interesting question.
If the media is reporting that the recession is this horrible castostophie, how is the public going to gain enough confidence in the economy to start investing in it again enough to bring it out of the recession? It seems to me that the news media want the recession to continue so they have something to cover that will keep people interested. In some situations continued coverage of an issue can be helpful but this is not one of them. The longer we see stories about how dismal the economic future of the nation is, the longer it is going to take people to start investing again.
I by no means think that the media is some evil organization bent on the destruction of the American ecnomy but I feel they need to realize the responsibility they have in situations like these.
Bottom line, think for yourself and don't buy into everything the news media tries to sell you.
No comments:
Post a Comment