Thursday, May 5, 2011

My first post in, well, a long time.

Apparently having a degree in communications does not necessarily mean one is a great communicator. My lack of contribution to this blog being a great example. I shall now remedy that (at least temporarily) Here we go.

Part one: The babymoon.
Those of you that don't know what that term means it's kinda like a mini honeymoon right before you have your first baby. I highly recommend it. We started the day by helping with Annalise's service day event. There was a large group of students that had gotten together to help raise awareness of human trafficking. We went up to the Gateway (an outdoor mall in Salt Lake) and invaded their food court. I say invaded because the roughly 80 students definitely made a commotion. At a designated time all of the students assumed positions of servitude or bondage and held it for 2 minutes classic flash mob style. They then were able to move about and share information with people as questions were asked. We then went to two other locations in the area and repeated the process. As a people watcher I enjoyed seeing peoples reactions to the students suddenly frozen in place. Most just thought it was funny but a few knew there was a purpose and started asking questions. A good start to the weekend.

From there we had a few hours to kill so we drove around the benches of Salt Lake to look at houses. No not to buy just to look. We both love looking at homes and seeing the different architectural styles. It was like dating a house, just seeing what we like for the future big purchase!

From there we checked into the anniversary inn (which is a fine bed and breakfast). We enjoyed a dinner at Buca Di Beppo and then a night at the symphony. The Utah Symphony was performing a mid summer nights dream and it was amazing. The music was beautiful and we learned that it was commissioned by some royal (no idea where or when) as a sort of soundtrack to the play. As part of the performance there were three Shakespearian actors that performed portions of the play. It was hilarious especially since one very tall man played the part of three different characters in succession all of whom died flamboyantly humorous fashion. He even involved the conductor. And that pretty much rounded off our night.

The next day we woke up when we felt like it (not much of an option now) had breakfast and went to the Clark planetarium. It was great to have a weekend with just my wife.

Part 2: The Baby

This part is going to be short as I am leaving most of the details to Annalise but I'll put in my two cents. Ariana Rachelle Smith was born on April 6th 2011 and life will never be the same. I love that little girl more than anything aside from my God and my wife. The coolest moment for me was just after she was born the nurses were checking on her and cleaning her up a bit and went over to make sure she was okay. I put my finger in her tiny hand and she gripped it as if to say "You have to keep me safe." 6lbs never felt so important. The whole process was miraculous including the fact that I was able to watch her be born and cut the cord ( I get squeamish.) We have learned a lot about taking care of her and have a long way to go but we will do it together.

Part 3: Carl Bloch

We went to the Carl Bloch exhibit at the MOA today and it was spectacular. Some of the impressions I had there just can't be described but I can say that I felt the love of my Saviour in those works. If ever an artist was inspired of God it was Carl Bloch. The painting of Christ in Gethsemane was particularly touching for me. If you haven't seen it this is a link. Just seeing his pain and suffering on our behalf made me feel so much gratitude for his sacrifice. The paintings, many of which were based on passages from the bible, helped make those stories real for me. I've always known that they actually happened but it was much like I know that world cup happens, out there but not affecting me directly. No longer.

Life is good and while I am still looking for a more permanent form of employment I am happy and know things are going where they should be. More should be forthcoming but until then, God be with you.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I have been waiting to hear if the baby has been born. Thanks for sharing! And congratulations on a healthy happy baby!