Monday, March 30, 2009

We're in the home stretch!

This past week my school's 3rd term ended. This means that I am 3/4 of the way through my first year of teaching! In some ways, it feels like a lifetime ago that I was a college student, but in others, it's still hard for me to believe I'm old enough to have a real job! This semester has gone much more smoothly than my first semester. I know the kids better and they know me better. I adjusted the curriculum we use to give them a bit less homework and the change has been immense! During 2nd term, I had several students who never turned in homework and subsequently failed. This term, however, I am only failing 4 students (out of 100). While that's still 4 more than I want to fail, the shortened homework has meant that students are actually doing their homework and as a result are learning the material which translates into higher test scores. I am so proud of my students!

Tim is in the home stretch of his classes. While I am counting down the number of school days until spring break (9, by the way), he is counting down the number of days of class he has left (5!). He is definitely feeling ready to be done with school. He is still looking for an internship for over the summer, but has one that will most likely come together. He just needs to get it approved by the Communications department.

It's hard to believe that this phase of our lives is almost over, but also very rewarding to know that we both finished school. We don't know yet where life will take us, but one thing we know and have no doubt about is that our Heavenly Father is watching over us. He knows us personally and knows our circumstances, and He has a plan for us. Sometimes it's frustrating for me when I do not know where we will be in 6 months, but I have faith and know that God's plan is better than my own.

The last piece of news (at least for now) is that my brother comes home from his mission in 1 1/2 months! I am so excited to see him and spend time with him.

7 comments:

Gina said...

Oh darn. I thought your last piece of news would be that you were pregnant.

Mrs. Jones said...

I was just thinking the same thing!

Emily said...

I'm glad you're learning a lot through teaching. I bet you're an amazing teacher!

Jennpearl said...

Hello, I was just catching up with what has been going on with the 2 of you. It is so exciting to hear all the wonderful things you have going on! Aaron is finally in his last stages of training and then it's off to Alaska for us. I'm so glad you've recovered from your appendicitis. I'm sorry you had to suffer through that.
I hope you have a wonderful day!!!!

Angela Dougherty said...

Hey Annalise! Angela (Dunford) here, I just found your blog through Bethani's! How are you doing? It looks like life is treating you well. Congrats on being almost done with your first year of teaching, that is so exciting! We have a blog too, aren't they the best things ever?! jajdougherty.blogspot.com. I hope you know that I fully intend to blog-stalk you now!! Hey, it's what happens when I get bored at home. :)

Sarah Ruth Ritchie said...

That IS really exciting news! Hurray!.. That is crazy that you both will be done with school soon. My husband just started law school last fall... so we have about 3 more years with him in school. I am currently working though. Anyhow, I am glad I found your blog. You two are super cute!

Nick and Erika said...

I am glad I found your blog! How have you been?! And I would have to agree with the first comment, I thought you were going to announce a baby! lol!